Articles subject to import inspection for entry

All the plant articles other than the prohibited items are subject to plant quarantine inspection. They can be imported if they pass the import inspection.

Articles subject to import inspection
This category involves an extremely wide range of plants (and/or plant products) such as seeds, nursery stocks (including scions) and flower bulbs, cut-flowers, fruits and vegetables, grains and cereals, beans and legumes, dried flowers, timber (excluding sawn timber), spices, medicinal plants, etc.
If no quarantine pest is detected on your plants by import inspection, they will be passed for entry into our country. If any quarantine pest is found, their entry is refused.
However, if any disinfection treatment is available, they can be passed for entry after the completion of the treatment.
Shipment categories
Cargo shipments are transported mostly by specialized freighter vessels, marine containers or air cargoes. Import inspection of bulk cargoes such as cereal grains or beans, etc. is routinely carried out on board the vessels prior to unloading operation. Shipments of fruits and vegetables are inspected in chilled warehouses specially designed for accommodation of these perishable products.
Timber and logs are inspected either aboard the vessels or at the log pools after discharge. Containerized cargo shipments are inspected at the container terminal of the port of entry. Air cargo shipments are inspected at the inspection facilities of the Plant Protection Station of the airport.
Hand luggage

Plant materials carried by passenger's luggage are inspected at the plant quarantine counter of seaports or airports prior to the customs procedure. See ' Visitors from abroad' for details.

Foreign mail

Plant articles contained in foreign mails are inspected at the customs post offices. See ' Visitors from abroad' for details.

Application for import inspection
For the inspection of import plants, you are requested to submit ' Application for Import Plant Inspection ' to the Plant Protection Station supervising the seaport or airport of entry. Application will be accepted from seven days ahead of the date of arrival.
Documents required for inspection
Phytosanitary certificate
When you import plants, you are required to present an official phytosanitary certificate issued by the government of exporting country.
The certificate is issued on the basis of export phytosanitary inspection undertaken by plant protection authorities of exporting country in conformity with the stipulation of the International Plant Protection Convention. You are required to submit 'Application for Import Plant Inspection' together with the Phytosanitary Certificate.
Other documents necessary
For the need of identifying the specific contents of the consignment for inspection, you may also be required to present Bill of Lading (B/L), Invoice, Packing List, Airway Bill, etc.
Inspection method
For each species of plant materials and the size of the consignment, necessary amount of sample is drawn and closely inspected for the presence of quarantine pest or soil attached. Final decision on the inspection will be given as far as possible at the site of inspection. When a closer examination is necessary, samples are taken into laboratories of the plant protection station and subjected to precise indexing by using microscope and/or other sophisticated inspection devices. Tree fruit nursery stocks and flower bulbs are accommodated into the national post-entry quarantine facilities to inspect for virus and viruslike diseases for a prolonged period.
Inspection site and contact point
Inspection is carried out at the designated places within the areas of seaports or airports. Application for import inspection should be made to the Plant Protection Station responsible for the port of entry.
International trade (import and export) of some plant species are banned by CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (1975)) for the conservation of endangered wild species of plants and animals. For detailed information, please contact Trade Licensing Division, Trade Control Department, Trade & Economic Cooperation Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry or Customs Counselors Offices of the Customs.
Top of Incoming Plants